Boston Aquarium Society Message Board

A forum for members and guests of the BAS
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 2:11 pm 
Fishkeeper

Hello all. I am now setting up a fish rack. The rack is 6' tall, 4' long, and 2' wide. It supports 4000 lbs. I plan to have 5 10g on the top 2 shelves and a 55g on the bottom shelf. The other 2 shelves might be discarded. Anyway, I was curious to know if anyone recommends any particular water pump and air pump. The system will be centralized, and each tank will also be set-up to be isolated from the system for quarantine purposes as well. I will be using Swiss Tropicals poret foam in each tank for filtration and a 55g plastic food grade drum for the sump. Extra water volume. Any suggestions?

Rob Young

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:25 pm 
Fishkeeper

bumping... seriously, nobody has any suggestions?

Rob Young

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:17 am 
BAS Board Member

There's a lot of options here. What type of fish are you wanting to keep? I'm currently running four sumps. Three of those are multi-tank setups. The tank configurations are varied and each has its own issues.

Depending on how you are distributing the water, ( each tank has its own supply and drain, or some sort of daisy chain, or a variant of both ) your pump requirements may be hard to pin down. You also need to consider head height, or the distance your pump will need to raise water. I would suggest using separate pumps for each level of tanks and a separate pump for your 55. This would mean that you would have more flexibility in using less expensive pumps. I currently have Mag, Quiet One, Rena, Rio pumps and they all do their job. If I were you , I'd check out specs for gallons/hour, head height, and wattage before purchasing.

As for air, I'd look at how many outlets I'd need, how I'm going to distribute the air, etc. So may options here I hesitate to say. I would recommend though that you buy some sponge filters and keep one or two running in the sump. Then if you suddenly need to isolate a tank, you'll have a mature sponge ready for it. They're cheap enough so it's less of a hassle than trying to make your own (IMO).

If you post more detail, we'll be better able to make suggestions.

--- Dave a.k.a. front-fan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:28 pm 
Fishkeeper

I'd run an EcoPlus air pump and just put sponge filters in the ten gallons. Then you can run one sponge and an AC110 on the 55. You aren't going to have a huge system, so no need to go too crazy.

I really liked my EcoPlus, but it was a bit much for my two tanks, so I have one laying around now if you're interested?
Just shoot me a PM if you're interested. I'm on the South Shore.